'


2014 INTERNATIONAL MEET
DOVER, DELAWARE


The 2014 Studebaker Drivers Club International Meet which ran from June 28 through July 5 is now history. The meet was hosted by the DelMarVa Peninsula Chapter and held at the Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, Delaware. This was a great venue with reasonable room rates and excellent facilities. We made the trip to Dover and stayed overnight for the big car show on Thursday. This was a chance to see many great Studes some of which are pictured below. The next International Meet will be in St. Louis, Missouri August 16 through 23, 2015.


STUDEBAKER CARS

1958 Studebaker Commander Hardtop


Rear Angle View


Side Angle View


Interior and Dash

This sharp 1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop is owned by Robert Wilson of New Castle, Delaware. The Starlight Hardtop was a new body style for 1958 and it turned out to be a one year only model since this was the last year for the standard full-size Studebaker line. Starlights were available as Commanders and Presidents and only 3,726 were built of which 2,555 were Commanders. Most Starlights were two-toned but I did have a friend in high school whose father had an all white 1958 President Starlight. Robert's Starlight is equipped with air conditioning, factory push-button radio, overdrive, and dual exhausts. Studebaker's 259 cubic inch V8 was standard on 1958 Commanders.

Robert's Starlight took a first in Division 2, Early Postwar Sedans and Wagons, with 378 points.

1960 Studebaker Hawk Coupe


Rear Angle View


Interior and Dash

This beautiful 1960 Studebaker Hawk Coupe belongs to Malcom J. Stinson, Jr. of Showlow, Arizona. After a one year lapse during which the Studebaker 259 cubic inch V8 was the largest engine available, 1960 Hawks were equipped with the Studebaker 289 V8 as standard. Six cylinder Hawks were dropped from the domestic line but continued to be available in export markets. Production of 1960 Hawks was 4,507 units which was a drop from 7,788 in 1959. Malcom's Hawk is equipped with Flightomatic automatic transmission, Twin Traction limited slip differential, and a factory push-button radio. The color is Gulfstream blue which was the darker of the two blues available that year.

Malcom's Hawk took a first in Division 4, Coupes (C Body) and Hardtops (K Body), with 384 points.

Modified 1960 Lark Hardtop


Rear Angle View


Interior and Dash


Under the Hood

This neat 1960 Lark Regal Hardtop belongs to Bill Fogg of Villas, New Jersey. The exterior color is White Sand. Bill's Lark is powered by a Chevy 350 V8 and sports bucket seats and a full set of round VDO gauges. Other than modern wheels and tires it appears stock on the outside and retains all of its original bright trim except for the front grille emblem. Here is a closeup shot of the instrument panel. Studebaker made only minor trim changes to the Lark for 1960 including a slightly revised front and side grill pattern and somewhat different tail light lenses. A total of 7,394 Lark Regal Hardtops were produced for the 1960 model year.

Bill's Lark took a first in Division 9, Non-Stock Non-Studebaker Powered, with 393 points.

1959 Lark VIII 4-Door Sedan


Rear View

This very nice 1959 Studebaker Lark 4-Door sedan is owned by Karl Schloeder of Middletown, New Jersey. The exterior color is Hawaiian Green. Karl's Lark is a Regal model with stainless steel trim around the side windows and is equipped with a Studeabker 259 cubic inch V8 rated at 180 horsepower and Flightomatic automatic transmission. It also has a factory push-button radio, backup lights, dual exterior rear view mirriors, and bumper guards front and rear. The 1959 Lark was designed around the existing Studebaker full-size body shell with greatly reduced front and rear overhang. The result was a simple but attractive car that sold well and kept Studebaker in the car business for several more years.

Karl's Lark was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1964 Daytona Convertible


Rear Angle View

This rare 1964 Studebaker Daytona Convertible in Bordeaux Red belongs to Ed and Laura Jones of Beachwood, New Jersey. According to its information card, it was shipped from the factory on the last day of automobile production in South Bend. It is one of only 703 convertibles produced for the 1964 model year of which 286 were assembled in Canada. This example is powered by a Studebaker 289 cubic inch V8 with automatic transmission and is somewhat unusual in that it equipped with bucket seats and tinted glass but no factory radio. Production of Studebaker convertibles ended with the 1964 model. Ed and Laura are Studebaker parts vendors and I have purchased parts for my 1964 Wagonaire from them.

This car was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1965 Commander Wagonaire Station Wagon


Rear Angle View


Interior and Dash

This neat 1965 Commander Wagonaire Station Wagon is owned by Gary Ash of Dartmouth, Massachusetts. Gary's wagon is equipped with a sliding roof and is powered by a General Motors McKinnon Industries Division 283 cubic inch V8 with Flightomatic automatic transmission. The engine is basically a Chevrolet 283 V8 built in Canada at a plant in St Catharines, Ontario and the transmission is the same Borg Warner unit used in previous Studebakers. Gary's wagon also has the optional roof rack, front bumper guards, full wheel covers, and push-button transister radio.

Gary's Wagonaire took a third in Division 3, Lark Types, with 342 points.

1963 Lark Wagonaire Station Wagon


Under the Hood

This very sharp 1963 Lark Regal Wagonaire Station Wagon is owned by Bob and Diana Wagner of Clarksburg, West Virginia. The Wagner's Wagonaire is powered by a Studebaker 289 cubic inch V8 and has a manual transmission with overdrive. This is a very desirable engine and transmission combination, particularly for a Wagonaire given its weight. It also has a sliding roof and modern alloy wheels and radial tires. Regal trim was the middle trim level for 1963 Wagonaires as there was no Custom trim level as there was for sedans. The next step up was Daytona trim which in 1963 was used only for hardtops, convertibles, and station wagons.

The Wagner's car was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1964 Daytona R2 Hardtop


Interior and Dash


Under the Hood

This rare 1964 Studebaker Daytona R2 Hardtop is owned by Max Mosse of Martinsburg, West Virginia. It is powered by a supercharged 289 cubic inch Studebaker Avanti R2 V8 and is equpped with a Powershift automatic transmission. It also has disc brakes, bucket seats, push-button transistor radio, and a factory in-dash tachometer. The exterior color is Laguna Blue. Max's Daytona was sold new by Porterfield Studebaker in Martinsburg and it has spent its entire life in or near Martinsburg. Only 2,414 Daytona Hardtops were built for the 1964 model year and realtively few were equipped with the Supercharged Avanti R2 engine.

Max's Daytona took a first in Division 3, Lark Types, with 392 points.

1966 Daytona Sport Sedan

This rare 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan belongs to Ray Morgenweck of Egg Harbor City, New Jersey. The exterior color is Mount Royal Red which was a new color for 1966. Along with a new grille, rear end revisions, and lowered side trim, Studebaker introduced several new colors for the 1966 model year which was to be the last. Here is a closeup shot of the new for 1966 front grille. Ray's Daytona is powered by a General Motors McKinnon Industries Division 283 cubic inch V8 and is equipped with aftermarket wire wheels and modern tires. Studebaker produced only 873 Daytona Sport Sedans for 1966 before production ended in March of that year.

The information card for Ray's Daytona indicated that it was the only car he had driven for the last two and one-half years. Ray's Lark has standard New Jersy plates indicative of its staus as a regular driver.

1963 Studebaker Super Lark Clone


Rear Angle


Side View


Interior with Avanti Steering Wheel

This 1963 Studebaker Super Lark 2-Door Sedan Clone belongs to Joe Flannery of Dumont, New Jersey. Joe's Lark was originally equipped with a 259 cubic inch V8 with Flightomatic automatic transmission and disc brakes and was off the road for several years. It now has a supercharged R2 engine from an Avanti along with an Avanti steering box, quick ratio steering arms, and a 4-speed manual transmission with a Centerforce performance clutch setup and correct shift handle and knob. Avanti sway bars are fitted front and rear and an Avanti steering column was shortened for use in the Lark.

Joe's Lark is the Custom trim level which was new for 1963 featuring bright side window trim and slotted above the Regal trim level. The interior has been upgraded with bucket seats, console, and a Cruiser style rear set with folding armrest. The front grill and fender emblems are as would be found on a Factory Super Lark.

Joe's Lark was in attendance but was not registered for judging or display.

1964 Studebaker Daytona Wagonaire


Driver Side View


Rear View Roof Open

This sharp 1964 Studebaker Daytona Wagonaire Station Wagon belongs to Rob Reese of Easton, Pennsylvania. The exterior color is Laguna Blue. Rob's sliding roof Wagonaire is powered by the optional 289 V8 with dual exhaust and is eqipped with the factory roof rack. It also has the optional power tailgate window, factory backup lights, factory accessory locking gas cap, and is equipped with a trailer hitch. Quad headlights were standard on Daytona models. The Daytona Wagonaire was the highest trim level Studebaker station wagon for the 1964 model year.

Rob's Wagonaire was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1964 Studebaker Commander Wagonaire

This attractive 1964 Commander Wagonaire is owned by Bill and Kathy Foy of Kingston, Ontario. Commander Wagonaires came standard with single headlamps and narrow stainless steel side trim. The Foy's Wagonaire has the the optional 259 cubic inch V8 engine with three-speed overdrive transmission. It also has the optional tailgate step, factory push-button radio, factory backup lights, and factory roof rack. The Commander Wagonaire was the middle trim level Studebaker station wagon for the 1964 model year.

The Foy's Wagonaire was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1954 Commander Starliner Hardtop

This 1954 Commander Starliner Hardtop is owned by Ed Ellis of Bishopville, Maryland. This tastefully modified car has a four-speed manual transmssion. Here is another view of Ed's Sharp Starliner.

Ed's Commander took a first in Division 8, Non-Stock Studebaker Powered, with 386 points.

1947 Champion Convertible

The 1947 Champion Convertible is owned by Bill and Maxine Morgan of Rockville, Maryland. Only 2,251 Champion Convertibles were produced for the 1947 model year so this is a relatively rare model.

The Morgan's Champion took a first in Division 2, Early Postwar Sedans and Wagons, with 390 points.

1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona Convertable


A Second View

This sharp 1963 Studebaker Lark Daytona Convertibe belongs to Allen Anderson of Oakville, Ontario. It is an R1 powered car as indicated by the emblem in the front grille. The R1 is a normally aspirated 289 V8 rated at 240 horsepower. It was first used in 1963 and was the standard engine in the Avanti. A relatively small number of Larks were optionally equipped with this engine. Studebaker only made 1,015 convertibles for the 1963 model year so this is a very rare car.

Allen's Daytona was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1963 Studebaker Lark Regal Wagonaire

This attractive two-tone 1963 Lark Regal Wagonaire belongs to Glenn and Susan Lauver of Ocean Pines, Maryland. The Lauver's Wagonaire was "self-restored" according to its identification card. It is powered by a Studebaker 259 cubic inch V8. The Regal was the middle trim level Studebaker station wagon for the 1963 model year. Factory two-tone paint treatments were not available on Wagonaires but dealers sometimes applied them to meet customer demands.

The Lauver's Wagonaire was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1941 Studebaker Commander Cruising Sedan

This sharp 1941 Studebaker Commander Cruising Sedan belongs to Charlie Steffy of Altamonte Springs, Florida. Charlie's Commander is a Skyway Series Cruising Sedan with suicide doors and two-tone paint. The Skyway Series was slotted above the Delux-Tone Series and was the top trim model for 1941. The 1941 Commander used a 226 cubic inch six cylinder engine rated at 96 horsepower. A major change for 1941 was the elimination of running boards.

Charlie's Commander took a second in Division 1, Prewar, with 368 points.

1962 Gran Turismo Hawk


1956 President Classic


1956 Power Hawk Coupe

The 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk Hardtop from Maryland owned by Frank Philippi is an excellent example of a first year GT. Frank has owned this Hawk since 1979. It has been restored to original condition. Black was a popular color on first year GT Hawks and was used on the car pictured in the attractive double page side view artwork on the inside of the 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk dealer brochure.

The 1956 President Classic also from Maryland owned by Marty Long is finished in Tangerine and Snowcap White. The President Classic was a long wheel base model identified by the presence of rear door vent windows. The President Classic outsold the standard President 4-door 8,507 to 6,822 for the 1956 model year.

The 1956 Power Hawk Coupe from New York is finished in Yellowstone and Snowcap White. The Power Hawk was equipped with Studebaker's 259 cubic inch V8 and was a one year only model. Here is a close-up rear view of the Power Hawk that identifies it as such. The 1956 Flight Hawk six cylinder was identical outside except for the trunk lid script and optional dual exhaust system.

These three cars were also in attendance but were not registered for judging or display.


STUDEBAKER TRUCKS

1964 Studebaker 8E45 Diesel Tractor


Rear Angle View


Interior and Dash

This beautiful 1964 Studebaker 8E45 Diesel Tractor belongs to Michael Chernago of Cortland, New York. Michael's truck is powered by a Detroit Diesel 4-53 heavy duty in-line four cylinder diesel engine. The Detroit Diesel 4-53 has a displacement of 212 cubic inches and is rated at 140 horsepower. The maximum torque output of this engine is 282 foot-pounds at 1,800 rpm. That is a lot of grunt. Michael's truck is equipped with a five-speed manual transmission and overdrive and a two-speed rear end. Here is a rear view of this great truck.

Michael's truck took a first in Division 7, Trucks, with 375 points.

1963 Studebaker 8E15 Stake Bed Truck


Front View


Rear View


Under the Hood

This sharp 1963 Studebaker 8E15 Stake Bed is owned by Herbert Coolidge of Collegedale, Tennessee. Herbert's truck is powered by a Detroit Diesel 3-53 heavy duty in-line three cylinder diesel engine. The Detroit Diesel 3-53 has a displacement of 159 cubic inches and is rated at 101 horsepower. The maximum torque output of this engine is 205 foot-pounds at 1,800 rpm. The 53 Series diesel engines displace 53 cubic inches per cylinder and were available in three, four, and six cylinder configurations. Studebaker only offered the three and four cylinder versions. Here is another view of Herbert's truck.

Herbert's truck took a second in Division 7, Trucks, with 372 points.

1951 Studebaker 2R6 Delivery Van


Rear Angle

This neat 1951 Studebaker 2R6 Delivery Van with a Boyertown body is owned by George Hamlin of Clarksville, Maryland. George's truck is powered by the 245 cubic inch Commander six rated at 102 horsepower. From 1926 until 1990, the Boyertown Auto Body Works in Boyertown, Pennsylvania manufactured truck bodies for commercial and government use. During the early 1950's Boyertown produced several thousand truck bodies for the U.S. Post Office Department. The body on George's truck is a Boyertown S-6 which is similiar to a Step Van.

This truck was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1962 Studebaker Transtar Motor Home


Rear Angle View

This neat 1962 Studebaker Transtar Motor Home style camper is owned by Robert and Debbie Dean of Albany, Ohio. It is built on a one-ton Transtar chassis and is powered by a Studebaker 289 cubic inch V8. Here is picture of the dash area. Apparently this vehicle gets around because according to its information card it has been to twenty-two SDC International Meets. Studebaker campers are rare but not unheard of as a Google image search for "Studebaker camper" brought back several others including a few similiar to this one as well as examples with M Series and Champ cabs. The Deans also own a 1964 Studebaker Daytona Convertible.

This vehicle was registered as display only so it was not judged.

1948 M5 Pickup Truck

This 1948 M5 Pickup Truck is owned by Cole Phillips of Seaford, Delaware. M Series production for 1948 was cut short with the introduction of the 2R Series in early 1948 as a 1949 model.

Cole's truck took a third in Division 7, Trucks, with 297 points.


SOUTH BEND PACKARDS

1957 Packard Clipper Station Wagon


Front View


Side Angle View


Rear View

This outstanding 1957 Packard Clipper Station Wagon is owned by Chip Dayton of Cheshire, Connecticut. It is one of only 869 Clipper wagons produced for the 1957 model year. Basically it is a Studebaker President Broadmoor Station Wagon with revised front and rear ends, a revised dash, and more luxurious trim. Studebaker's 289 cubic inch V8 with supercharger rated at 275 horsepower as in the Golden Hawk was the standard engine for all 1957 Packard Clippers. The 1957 Clipper wagon was marketed as the "Country Sedan" while its companion 4-door sedan was marketed as the "Town Sedan" with fewer than 5,000 total being sold.

Chip's wagon took a first in Division 2, Early Postwar Sedans and Wagons, with 388 points.

1957 Packard Clipper Town Sedan


Rear Angle View


Rear View

This beautiful 1957 Packard Clipper Town Sedan belongs to Hal and Kathy Hermann of Fairfax, Virginia. The Hermanns are long-time owners of this outstanding car. It first appeared on this page in October 1998 and again in February 2008. The 1957 Clipper was based on the Studebaker President and used the supercharged 275 horsepower 289 cubic inch V8 from the Studebaker Golden Hawk. This kept horsepower the same as the 1956 Clipper. Interiors were upgraded and Packard styling features including front bumper bullets and 1956 Clipper tail lamps were added to the body.

The Hermann's Clipper was registered as display only so it was not judged.


Return to the Main Page